Saturday, January 1, 2011

Making it up: Salad


Happy New Year! I thought I'd try and throw a salad together. I started out with this list of ingredients: Kale, Cilantro, Lettuce, Honey, Salt, Pepper, Balsamic Vinegar, Olive Oil, Apples, Lemon, Yellow Onion, and Feta Cheese.
Got out the blender and added in one of the apples all chopped up, also added one tablespoon each of: honey, vinegar, oil and then when it seemed like there wasn't enough liquid - the juice from half a lemon. The blender wasn't so powerful, but this is what I ended up with:

At first, the vinegar tastes a bit strong, but stirring it up and letting it sit a bit evens it out. Next, I washed and cut up everything green - all stalks off. (Not sure how much I used, but there's a penny in the picture for scale).

I mixed the apple dressing and the greens together and then added a little bit of chopped onion. To top if off, I added the other chopped up apple (in the future, I'll wait to chop this up because it turned brown) and sprinkled the feta cheese on top. And voila!


My reaction: is that I like this salad. I don't like fresh kale because it's sorta tough to chew on. The dressing turned out much sweeter than expected. And, next time I have to remember to take the seeds out of the lemon. Mom's reaction: thought that it was good. She is better at deciphering flavors and really liked the dressing and the feta. She did not like the kale either and now I don't know if it's supposed to be eaten raw or not.

Fun little experiment worked!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy pictures! Exciting endeavor. I came across your blog from Jana's. The salad and soup look great! We like kale chips. You know, I expect to taste your food sometime.

    ReplyDelete