Saturday, January 8, 2011

Colombian Chicken and Potato Soup - A Fresh Winter Soup

The first snow of the year fell this morning. I was up early because I had to work, but it was still one of those days when you look outside and just want to stay home and be cozy. Not feeling great, it's snowy: it had to be soup.

I made Colombian Chicken and Potato Soup today and I was genuinely surprised by how good it was. I've been sick all week, with my appetite returning this morning -- this was the first thing I've been able to taste since the new year. Meaning this: I'm on the road to recovery. Cilantro, lime, potatoes and chicken - really great flavors for a solid winter soup.
What I observed as I was making this was that I enjoy the focus that cooking requires from me. So much of my life is a rushed multitask... and I realized that when I focus on one thing, I am better able to really enjoy it and take in the moment. In fact, it's possibly I may have relaxed when making this dish. I noticed that I do much better with a plan: recipe, shopping list, time to shop. Taking the time to plan sets me up do a better job.

So these are my two takeaways: focus & make a plan.

3 comments:

  1. I demand a recipe! How dare you post such a delicious looking picture without the means to replicate. You should be ashamed of yourself. :) The picture, and your description, remind me of the best soup I've ever had- it's a chicken/lime/cilantro soup I had in the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. I had it one time, 3 years ago, and still remember every flavor. Sadly, I haven't been able to find a recipe. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL -- here's the URL:
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/colombian-chicken-and-potato-soup-00000000049529/index.html

    Serves 4| Hands-On Time: 20m | Total Time: 45m

    Ingredients
    4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 4)
    4 frozen corn-on-the-cob pieces (sometimes called “cobbettes”)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
    4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    2 medium russet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    kosher salt and black pepper
    cut-up avocado, fresh cilantro sprigs, and capers, for serving

    Directions

    1.In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the chicken broth and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and corn and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.

    2.Remove the chicken and corn from the saucepan and reserve.

    3.Strain the cooking liquid into a large bowl or measuring cup and reserve.

    4.Wipe out the saucepan and heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and the reserved cooking liquid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the pota-toes are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.

    5.Meanwhile, shred the chicken and cut the corn pieces into 1-inch-thick rounds. Return the chicken and corn to the soup. Add the lime juice, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve the soup with the avocado, cilantro, capers, and lime wedges

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks Yummy Yummy Yummy!!! Can I have some for my tummy??? LOL! Congrats Jumoke :)

    ReplyDelete