Monday, January 16, 2012

Veggie Challenge #2: Swiss Chard

Next veggie: Swiss Chard. I didn't know what this was when I picked up a singular bunch, but I think I have a new favorite leafy green. These come in bunches that are approximately a pound per bunch. You'll need:

  • 2 pounds of Swiss Chard
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
  • 2 tbsp of white cooking wine
  • salt and pepper to taste

Start with the greens, you'll rinse them, cut out the ribbing and cut into 2" pieces, (sort of like you're making bite sized pieces for a salad).

Heat up the oil. Add the garlic and red peppers until the garlic is slightly browned.

Add in the chard and the cooking wine. Cook until the leaves wilt and the wine evaporates. When this happens, add salt and pepper for taste.

This yields about 4 servings. As a main dish, the greens looked a bit sad and lonely on the plate, (maybe because I just made one bunch - yielding only two servings). I had this for dinner tonight and I really liked the flavor. I can't describe it - but I'll definitely be making this again. For lunch tomorrow, I've added in a serving of whole grain rotini - which rounds out the dish.

So, I've still got the following left on my shortlist:
  • leeks
  • eggplant
  • bok choi
  • chinese broccoli
  • spaghetti squash, and acorn squash
The challenge continues, recipe ideas are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment